Car chase chaos

Police pursued the car for a short time before a tyre deflation device was successfully deployed at a dead-end. Picture: SUPPLIED

An erratic driver on bail who allegedly led police on a dramatic chase through Pakenham was heard “screaming and squawking” as he was arrested.

Police first received reports of a man driving erratically with no fixed plates and a smashed windscreen on the Monash Freeway at about 3.30pm on Thursday 24 September.

It’s alleged the stolen grey Toyota Kluger headed towards a property on Finton Court, near Racecourse Road, before exiting a garage with allegedly stolen plates.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said a unit on ground located the car on Ahern Road and pursued it for a short time.

Pakenham man Nathan Nish was asleep when he woke to the sound of sirens near his house.

He said his partner was on her daily walk when she was forced to jump into a front yard to avoid the speeding car, which allegedly drove onto the nature strip in a bid to escape police.

“He then did a massive loop and came back to Ahern Road, so he must have got lost and didn’t know the area,” Mr Nish explained.

Another witness, Suzi, said she heard sirens and recalled seeing a “flash” of the Kluger, as four cop cars sped down Kennedy Road after it.

Police were eventually able to bring the chase to an end by successfully deploying a tyre deflation device at a dead end.

A 23-year-old Plenty man, who was more than 60 kilometres from home, was arrested at the scene.

Mr Nish witnessed the man pinned to the ground by police.

“He had been thrown to the ground and was screaming and squawking, but I couldn’t make out exactly what he was saying,” he recalled.

“It was definitely a bit of entertainment for a Thursday night after work.”

The man was later charged with 15 offences including theft of motor vehicle, drink driving, driving whilst disqualified, dangerous driving whilst pursued by police and committing an indictable offence whilst on bail.

He was remanded in custody and is expected to front the Dandenong Magistrates’ Court.

Shortly after the incident, police attended the Finton Court address where the car was earlier seen.

A 19-year-old Viewbank woman was arrested before being released a short time later.

She is expected to be charged on summons with theft of motor vehicle.