Light candles, not homes

The CFA has issued a reminder to let people know that candles, incense and oil burners can become a high fire risk.

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) has issued a reminder to let people know that candles, incense and oil burners can become a high fire risk.

With more time spent indoors during winter, the CFA is reminding community members to use these products safely.

CFA Deputy Chief Officer Trevor Owen said there were many instances where these small ambient flames had caused big fires and even bigger headaches for firefighters.

“Residents need to keep in mind that although candles and oil burners can be a pleasant addition to the home, leaving them unattended could be disastrous,” he said.

Mr Owen said there were a number of ways residents could safely use these products that would ensure the safety of their homes and more importantly, their lives and loved ones.

“It’s important to only use candles, incense and oil burners on a stable, non-combustible surface but to also keep curtains and other items away from open flames at all times,” he explained.

“Ensure you always extinguish candles, incense, oil burners and cigarettes before leaving home or going to sleep.

“Children and animals should be supervised at all times near open flames and keep a safe distance, also make sure that lighters and matches are kept out of their reach.”

When smoking, Mr Owen suggested using heavy ashtrays with high sides to precent tipping over, as well as properly extinguishing cigarettes.

“We know that residents enjoy the ambience that candles incense and oil burners add to their homes, but with these small safety tips you can ensure you don’t light up your home.”Light up your candles, not your home

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) has issued a reminder to let people know that candles, incense and oil burners can become a high fire risk.

With more time spent indoors during winter, the CFA is reminding community members to use these products safely.

CFA Deputy Chief Officer Trevor Owen said there were many instances where these small ambient flames had caused big fires and even bigger headaches for firefighters.

“Residents need to keep in mind that although candles and oil burners can be a pleasant addition to the home, leaving them unattended could be disastrous,” he said.

Mr Owen said there were a number of ways residents could safely use these products that would ensure the safety of their homes and more importantly, their lives and loved ones.

“It’s important to only use candles, incense and oil burners on a stable, non-combustible surface but to also keep curtains and other items away from open flames at all times,” he explained.

“Ensure you always extinguish candles, incense, oil burners and cigarettes before leaving home or going to sleep.

“Children and animals should be supervised at all times near open flames and keep a safe distance, also make sure that lighters and matches are kept out of their reach.”

When smoking, Mr Owen suggested using heavy ashtrays with high sides to precent tipping over, as well as properly extinguishing cigarettes.

“We know that residents enjoy the ambience that candles incense and oil burners add to their homes, but with these small safety tips you can ensure you don’t light up your home.”