Finals off to a fierce start

Beaconsfield maintained composure and got over the line against Cranbourne.




The first weekend of finals action didn’t fail to disappoint, with hard-fought netball seeing both games go down to the wire.

In the qualifying final, Beaconsfield managed to hold its nerve and get over the line against Cranbourne, 35-32.

During the early stages, it seemed as though Beaconsfield were going to run away with a convincing win as the side doubled their opposition’s score during the first quarter.

But a quick refresh at the quarter-time break seemed to do Cranbourne a world of wonders, as the side fought back during the second quarter and stole a one-goal lead by the half-time break.

The remainder of the game was a tussle with sides both determined to avoid a spot in the elimination semi-final next week.

But in the end, it was Beaconsfield ﹘ led strongly by the likes of defenders Katherine Grigoriou and Teneille Morrell ﹘ that stole the lead, then maintained composure and ran away with the three-goal win.

In the elimination final, Woori Yallock sent Narre Warren packing with a tight 46-41 win at Doveton on Saturday.

Once again, finals action was in full flight with both teams taking it up to one another throughout the entire game.

Nothing separated the two during the first quarter, as both found themselves on eight goals each at the quarter-time break.

During the second quarter, the Tigers managed to break in front before retaining their slim lead at every break that followed.

Mia Sudomirski was prolific in attack for the Tigers with 36 goals.

This weekend’s results mean Beaconsfield will face a tough ask as it lines up against Olinda Ferny Creek, however the loser of that game will receive a second chance.

Meanwhile, Cranbourne will take on Woori Yallock in the elimination semi-final.


Mount Evelyn secured its spot in the grand final with an upset 30-17 win over minor premiers ROC.

It seemed as though having the week off last week proved costly for the Kangaroos as they were never able to fully recovered from a slow start.

The Rovers on the other hand, never looked back after they doubled their opposition’s score during the first quarter and then led at every break.

The win sees Mount Evelyn head straight into the grand final, while ROC will have to win next weekend to set up a grand final rematch.

Warburton Millgrove bowed out of the finals race after suffering a 44-32 loss at the hands of Monbulk.

The game was all but over during the first term, with a confident Hawks outfit storming out of the blocks and taking a 10-goal lead into the second quarter.

The Burras managed to weather the storm and avoid a blow-out but they were never able to insert themselves into the game, as the Hawks continued to play steady netball and finish with a 12-goal win.

Next weekend’s preliminary final will see ROC take on Monbulk, with the winner of that game setting up a grand final clash against Mount Evelyn.